Monday, September 10, 2012

Chevron Border Print Pillow Cover


So I am certainly not the first person to blog about making a pillow cover. I bet if you did the search "making a pillow cover", you'd get over 50,000 results returned. Holy frijole, I just did that exact search and got 7,580,000 results! But I digress...

I wanted to make a pillow cover using one of my fabric designs, Chevron Border Print, so I thought I'd document it. I recently decided to start doing "step-by-step" tutorials for my creative projects and here we have the inaugural entry. :)

But seeing as there is already so much info out there, I'm just going to offer up a few tips and point to sites that already do a great job of explaining the process.



One thing I learned years ago from my trusty "Singer Sewing Projects for the Home" book is that, in order to prevent the upturned, pointy pillow corners, you should round the corners a bit. I didn't see this outlined on many other blogs so I thought I'd mention it. It keeps the corners from flaring out like wings, and makes it look more like an actual square. If you cut the fabric perfectly square, the corners will point out once you have the pillow inside.

It's easy enough to do--take each piece of fabric and fold in half twice. On the open end (the corner that is not folded) measure in 1/2" from the edge and make a mark. Make another mark halfway down the side and connect these two marks. Then simply round the corner but cutting along these lines.

And I wish I had looked at this pillow cover tutorial on DesignSponge before I made mine because I love the way they sew in the zipper. I'll never do it my old, clumsy way again!

Without further ado, here's my finished project:

What I love about pillow covers is that it took about an hour to complete, and the materials were about $35--no better way to update any room!

No comments:

Post a Comment